Maternity DNA testing will confirm the biological mother of a child. Normally, the most common reason for maternity testing is for legal purposes. For example, this could help prove that a biological relationship exists for UK residency reasons.
More detailed information about maternity testing is given below. Please feel free to discuss your needs by calling our Clinical Advisor team. In addition, they will be able to answer any technical questions you might have.
How does the Maternity DNA Test work?
We analyse many genetic locations in a maternity test. A person possesses two (of many possible) alleles at each genetic location. First, we will identify the alleles using numbers. As a result, this looks like a list of 2 columns of numbers for each location. These ‘numbers’ come from the parents at conception. One comes from the mother and one from the father.
Next, we list the DNA profiles of biological parents together. From this, one of the child’s alleles (numbers) will match up with a number from the mother’s sample. Similarly, the other should match up with an allele from the father’s sample.
In this case, if the alleles (numbers) match at all locations, we will include the person as the biological mother of the child. This proves they have passed these genetic markers to the child at conception.
Conversely, locations where there is NO match will exclude a person as a biological mother. This is because it is only possible to pass on to your off-spring the alleles which you have in your own DNA profile.
How accurate is the Maternity DNA Test?
In comparison, this test does not work the same way as paternity DNA testing. We will only test the mother and child. As a result, the statistical output will provide either a positive (inclusion) or negative (exclusion) result. Also, if the mother is not available, you could consider Sibling DNA Testing or Grandparent DNA Testing as a way of establishing maternity. Please call and speak to a Clinical Advisor to discuss your options.
How do I order a Maternity DNA Test?
There are many options available to you, these include:
- Order a free Maternity Test kit from our online store*
- Call to make an appointment at one of our DNA Clinics
- Call to arrange for a sample collection technician to visit your location
- You or your solicitor can contact us to organise a Legal DNA Test for court purposes
* Please note, you can only use self-collection kits for peace of mind purposes only.
Why choose DNA Clinics for this test?
- DNA Clinics is a brand partner of Boots
- Processing of all DNA tests is in a UK laboratory with UKAS accreditation
- A standard turnaround of only 3 days for Maternity Test results
- Established in 2005, our team of experts will guide you through the science
- Unrivalled convenience with a choice of over 50 DNA Clinics nationwide
- Certification to 3 ISO standards. This includes Quality, Information Security and Environment standards
- We are a registered company with the Information Commissioners Office